9/09/2008

I don't want to work for Diddy. (At least not yet)

I love to watch T.V. It is a great way to break away from the real world and get lost in pro sports, edgy dramas, or daydreams on Scrubs. All in all T.V. is a lot of fun, but most people (including me) don't expect to learn a whole lot from some of the programming. I would think that is doubly true for reality shows, and quadruply true for reality shows on VH1. It's not that I have anything against VHI, but the shows I watch on there (and I do, a lot) like I Love Money and I Want to Work For Diddy are not what I would call intellectual material. Usually I watch those train wrecks for the crazy people in them, not the ones that should make me think. But I have to say that watching Diddy this week made me think about my own job search.

I don't want to work for Diddy but I do want to have some of the qualities that I think Diddy would admire. And one of those qualities is leadership in a team. I get the question all the time in interviews and online forms, "Do you consider yourself a good leader?" I do and clearly Poprah on "Diddy" does as well. But as I watch the show I ask myself, in a team setting what is leadership? Is it harnessing the best aspects of your team or is it seeing their weaknesses and solving their problems? Personally, I want to get as much out of my team as possible and then mnimize error as we go. Kim is a little more hands on. Getting a job is a cut-throat market, and in that respect Kim's antics work. But at the same time, who can work with a stubborn person? The question is then, which style do employers want to see? What do you guys think?

No comments: